Life...The Most Complicated Thought

The unexamined life is not worth living. ~Socrates

The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

Two posts in one day...Damn!!! I am on a roll...lol

Well, I just recently finished reading The White Tiger: A Novel by Aravind Adiga. It is a brilliant work of fiction. Let me emphasize on two words: NOVEL and FICTION. The situation created in the novel have some but little truth to how things happen in India. He has exaggerated a lot in the novel, thus receiving criticism of others. Sadly, the darkness and the light does exist but not to that extent. The rich do play with the lives of the poor and corruption exists, and there might be some truth in that. However, all of that is changing nowadays. I am justifying for India, because I am an Indian. But thats not the only reason why I am justifying India. What Mr. Adiga has depicted, is how India was 10-20 years ago, and not even to this extent. It is changing, and it is changing for the good.

The book was intriguing. Instead of reading it, I listened to it. It was fun and interesting because I recognized the places and traditions mentioned in the book. I DID NOT like the reader, John Lee. I noticed he has done lots of work, but I think some other reader might have justified the book better. He was neither an Indian nor an outsider. He was stuck somewhere in the middle. He tried too hard to have an indian accent but played according to stereotype. One thing really annoyed me was the way he said Ganga. In English, it is Ganges and in Hindi, it is Ganga (गंगा). He said it like "Ganja" (गांजा) which is a drug. There were several other things he mispronouced. I think he should have done some research before reading this novel.

Overall, I will give this book a 9 out of 10. I think it will be a interesting movie if they ever make it.
Next book is Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri.

0 comments:

Followers

Search & Win